Friday, November 4, 2011

Prom Dress Hatred.

I started sewing my prom dress when school began. I was so excited for it. I plan on entering the dress into two competetions to win scholarships. I started looking around for a pattern I wanted to use. They all looked the same, boring. You could tell that they were meant to be made about twenty years ago. Most of them had sleeves, which I definitely did not want. I finally found a dress that was workable, but it had things I wanted to change
 M5850

I liked the sweetheart neckline of this dress and its A-line shape, but I wanted it longer. It took about two weeks to draw out a new pattern. After that I had to cut and pin the pattern, that took a long time, a very long time. I got burnt out on the dress after about the third week of cutting patterns, there were so many pieces! I am still working on it, have all SIX skirts sewn together, the bodice finished. So all I have to do is sew the skirts to the bodice, and hem them all. That doesn't sound like much at all. Until I tell you that I have to HAND HEM  them all!! That adds about an hour per skirt onto my project, therefore six more hours of work. Probably more, since I can only work on my dress for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Having such a short amount of time to work a day really makes the project seem forever. I am hoping to get the dress done by Christmas, and I have to get it done by Feburary. I hope I can do it!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! That sounds like a ton of work. Making something from scratch sounds a lot harder than refashioning. I hope you find time to get itdone and it isn't too stressful. It would be awesome if you got rewarded with a scholarship for all the hard work you're putting into this. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete